No April Fool’s here! Just good food! My cousin posted the most delicious looking salad on Instagram last week and I was beyond jealous. Most of my family lives in Ireland, so with the time difference they are posting delicious looking lunches and dinners right when I wake up. Since checking Instagram is (shamefully) the first thing I do every morning, I get to start
drooling over planning delicious meals right away. Luckily my cousin also mentioned the name of the restaurant in her picture and I was easily able to stalk the menu and find out more about this delicious meal. I read the description and was almost instantly in love.
Prosciutto, Pear & Parmesan Salad
Prosciutto ham, fresh rocket, toasted pine nuts,
sliced juicy pear and grated aged parmesan
with a strawberry and balsamic dressing.
I had everything on hand and set about making this bad boy right away. I took a few liberties of my own (NO pine nuts here! Yuck!) and had to imagine what the dressing might be like, but the end result was beyond anything I could have imagined. I think this the perfect type of salad for this time of year. There is a great combination of sweet winter and spring fruits, which are amazing with the salty prosciutto and the toasted almonds add a perfect crunch. And the very best part! It took less than ten minutes to put together!
Apart from switching
disgusting pine nuts for almonds, I had to guess what kind of dressing was used. Personally, I am not a fan of oily or sweet vinaigrettes, so when I came across this recipe from Whole Foods, I thought it would be perfect! I added some chia seeds to the dressing for some extra nutritional value. This dressing is best made with strawberries that have been sliced for a bit (so they can get kind of sweet and syrupy in their natural juice) or strawberries that are over ripe (like the day before you might have to toss them). Strawberries like that will be the juiciest and sweetest, which will cut the need for added sweeteners or oil.
Pear, Parmesan & Prosciutto Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 ripe, but firm pear, sliced (I used a Bartlett)
- 4 large handfuls arugula/rocket
- 3 Tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- a block of aged parmesan, for grating
- freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chia (or poppy) seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a food processor combine all the ingredients for the dressing and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Wash your arugula and place in large bowl. Add dressing and toss until well mixed (I used about 1/3 cup). Add almonds and grate parmesan to taste. Toss again.
- Place arugula on large serving platter, top with prosciutto and pear slices. Add salt, pepper and parmesan to taste. Serve and enjoy!