I am going to make a bold statement right now and say this is the best tomato soup I have ever had. Ever. EVER! I consider myself a bit of tomato soup connoisseur and I thought I had found the only recipe I needed for the rest of my life, but I was sorely miss informed. I could happily eat this every day for the rest of my life and not even care. This soup was sooooooo good it inspired me to blog again. This is a very simple recipe, but when you let all the ingredients get friendly, it turns into an extraordinary soup.
This is not the world’s fastest soup, but you really do not want to rush it. The more time you give it the more flavorful it will be, and trust me! It’s worth it. There are so many flavors in this soup and they way the all come together is absolutely amazing, but it takes a little bit. Taking the time to fully caramelize the onions is essential. Luckily, since the onion is diced, it takes a little less time than caramelizing normally does (25-30 minutes). I made gluten-free Black Pepper and Cheddar Biscuits with a Chebe mix that were the perfect addition to the meal.
The World’s Best Tomato Soup!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 6+ garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry vermouth
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 large (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (splurge on the good ones!)
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 Tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste
- Fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and continue to cook until caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vermouth and stir everything around to deglaze the pot. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and Italian herbs and stir until well mixed and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using an emersion blender, blend together all of the ingredients. (A food processor or blender will work as well)
- Cook about 10 minutes longer to all the soup to reduce and thicken up.
- Serve and enjoy!