Even though I used a mini watermelon for this salad, I had a TON left over. Coming up with a way to use up the extra wasn’t too difficult… when in doubt, margarita!. The very best part of these margs was the sweet, salty and spicy mix that I used to rim the glasses. The combination of sugar, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper was amazing. Every little taste was like a party for your taste buds. The rim paired amazingly with the watermelon in the drink. Just when the spice of the cayenne kicked in, the watermelon was there to cool everything down. This is a perfectly refreshing summertime drink.
Watermelon Margaritas with Sweet & Spicy Rims
For the Rims:
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I recommend ‘raw’/chunky sugar)
- 4 cups seedless/seeded watermelon
- 5 limes, 4 juiced for blender, 1 juiced for garnish
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1/2 cup Triple Sec
- In a shallow dish, combine the cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and sugar. In a second small plate, add the juice of one lime. Dip the rims of 4 margarita glasses in the lime juice, then coat them in the sweet and spicy mixture.
- In a large blender, blend the watermelon, tequila, triple sec and ice. Blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Divide the margarita between the 4 glasses and garnish each with a lime wedge.