I think this salad is a perfect for any 4th of July picnic or barbecue. Not only are the colors fun and spot on for the holiday, the ingredients are absolutely fantastic together! The salty blue cheese, earthy quinoa and sweet blueberries each bring great flavors that manage to complement each other perfectly.
I used balsamic raspberry vinegar, which unfortunately muddled the color of the quinoa and blue cheese a bit. I know if I used a little vinegar (white wine, cider) the color would be perfect. I also found the raspberry balsamic to be a bit too sweet for my personal taste. The tangy blue cheese helped tone it down slightly, but I think I would try a less sweet vinegar next time.
Red, White & Blue(berry) Quinoa Salad
Adapted from here.
For the Dressing
- s5 Tablespoons balsamic raspberry vinegar (or vinegar of choice)
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- Before cooking the quinoa, soak it in some cold water (about 20 minutes) to rinse off some of its natural bitterness.
- Add quinoa and broth to small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until all the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender (about 15 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix the dressing together and set aside.
- Add the blue cheese, chives and place this in with all the blueberries into a large bowl.
- Once you drain the quinoa, cool it off till it is slightly warm or room temperature and pour the raspberry vinaigrette and mix that through.
- Let the quinoa cool down some more before mixing in the cheese, blueberries and chives (otherwise your blue cheese will melt.)
- Gently fold in raspberries before serving, being careful not to smush them.