I will fully confess this salad was made out of desperation. I got a little overzealous at Costco and bought a 5 pound bag of baby spinach. It was $3.79, seemed like such a great idea at the time. Do you know how much baby spinach is in a 5 pound bag of baby spinach? FIVE pounds. Do you know how hard it is to come up with new ideas to use up 5 pounds of baby spinach? Real hard. There are only so many green smoothies and sautéed spinach one can consume. I have gotten to the point I just google spinach and any other random ingredients I can think of and hope something worthwhile comes up. I’ve been hitting a lot of duds, but I really lucked out with this one.
I personally don’t like super oily vinaigrettes (or oily anything), so I tend to skimp on that. I just couldn’t get a taste I liked with just the limes for acidity, so I added in a bit of white wine vinegar to try to get the flavors to blend a bit better. Perfect fix. I added the feta at the last minute (an other Costco purchase that needs to be used… I need to stop doing this to myself). I think it gave the salad a tangy bite that worked really well with the other flavors, but it’s not essential. Leaving it out would still make this one amazing (and vegan) salad.
I also have to admit I am totally embarrassed by the fact that I took the time to cut the strawberries into hearts. Who does that? It’s a
cheesy cute idea for a Valentine’s Day salad if you have the need for such a thing. This salad is definitely tasty enough to share.
Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad
For the Salad:
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped candied walnuts
- 1 cups strawberries, halved (cut into hearts if you’re crazy)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil (I don’t like oily vinaigrettes, use more if you do)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large serving bowl, add the spinach, strawberries, shallots and feta.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, grainy mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Sprinkle on the walnuts and add the diced avocado.