This is another super easy appetizer, BUT it does need a couple of days forward planning. I first had this at a Christmas tree decorating party when I was living in Hungary and I loved it. I will admit cream cheese kind of weirds me out (what is it…?), but I am willing to overlook that for these.
The jalapeños are kind of sweet, still a little spicy and absolutely delicious. The cream cheese provides a smooth and creamy neutral base that brings out the flavor of the candied jalapeño and helps things from getting too hot. I would personally recommend serving these on garlic bagel chips. When I lived in Hungary, I used the 7 Day Bread Chips. They were bite-sized and perfect for this appetizer. I served these on Glutino Parmesan Garlic Bagel Chips. They worked really well, but they have a tendency to break into a million pieces just when you look at them. I have yet to get a box that was not half-broken, but they are still super tasty and they make a great gluten-free substitute for bagel chips. Just be gentle with them. The only other thing to note, make sure you are using regular jalapeños when you sugar these. I accidentally used HOT jalapeños and while still tasty, there was a lot of heat that snuck up after the fact.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) jars sliced jalapeños
- assorted bite-sized crackers or bagel chips
- 4-8 Tablespoons sugar
- Drain jalapeños of ALL juice. There should be at least an inch or so space from where the jalapeños are and the top of the jar.
- Fill this space with sugar and tightly seal jar.
- Place jar in fridge.
- Shake the jar vigorously at least once a day for at least 5-7 days.
- On day of serving, you have two options for serving: 1. spread a small amount of cream cheese on bite-sized crackers or bagel chips. Top with one jalapeño on each cracker. 2. spread peppers and some of the now sweetened juice on cream cheese. Serve with crackers or bagel chips.