I saw this recipe a couple months ago and couldn’t wait to try them. These are generally all ingredients I usually have on hand, but for some reason I never seemed to have the right amount of anything on hand at the same time. I finally did and promptly made them. Well made them as promptly as you could after the 8 hours of marinating. These In all honesty, I probably wouldn’t make these again. While the flavors were amazing, they were very awkward to eat and very awkward to marinate. I would probably use the marinade on something else though.
Balsamic Onion Stack (from Southern Living)
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) sweet onion slices (about 3 onions)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) rounds
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) fresh tomato slices (about 2 tomatoes)
- Arrange onion slices in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Stir together vinegar and next 4 ingredients. Pour over onion slices. Cover and chill 8 hours, turning once.
- Remove onions from dressing with a slotted spatula, reserving dressing.
- Grill onion slices, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 2 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender and golden.
- Layer half of grilled onion slices each with 1 cheese round, 2 basil leaves, and 1 tomato slice; top with remaining half of onion slices.
- Grill onion stacks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve onion stacks with reserved dressing. Garnish, if desired.