This basically a no-recipe recipe. I happened to have some items around that were begging to be used together, so I gave them what they wanted. I just threw them all together with no real rhyme or reason and luckily this little salad turned out to be a delightful surprise. The creamy avocado and tangy blue cheese go really well together. Much better than I thought they would. I’ve been really into using toasted nuts lately in anything and everything possible. I think they make a great alternative to croutons to give salads a little crunchy bite. This salad came together in under 10 minutes and made a refreshing and tasty summer meal. If my avocados happen to be around along enough to be used in salads (let’s be honest guacamole takes priority here), I look forward to make this one again and again this summer.
Avocado, Blue Cheese & Spinach Salad
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 slivered almonds, toasted
- mustard vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Divide first 5 ingredients between two plates. Top with vinaigrette and serve.
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients together and mix until well incorporated. Will keep in the fridge up to one week.