These pizzas have been floating around Pinterest and other sites for a while now. I’ve been wanting to make them since I first saw them, but I couldn’t find round zucchini. Well my luck changed at last Sunday’s farmers’ market. I found round zucchini.
If you could describe a vegetable as ‘cute’, I would definitely describe these round zucchini as cute. If you can’t find round zucchini, fear not! Regular zucchini will work just as well, just make sure to cut it lengthwise or at a slight angle to make sure you have a lot of flat surface to work with. You could also slice regular zucchini in ‘coins’, which would give you perfect bite sized pizzas.
I was able to get six ‘slices’ of pizza out of one zucchini. I made three different kinds of pizza; olive, onion and everything which was olive and onion with a slice of salami. Onion was definitely my favorite.
- 1 round zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup pasta sauce of choice (I used a delicious arrabiata sauce)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- shredded cheese
- toppings of choice (I used olives, onions and salami)
- Heat broiler to high. Make sure that there is an oven rack about 5 inches away from the broiler.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil. Place sliced zucchini on the prepared baking sheet.
- Mix together pasta sauce, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Top each slice of zucchini with a heaping spoonful of sauce. Add more sauce as needed to completely cover each slice.
- Top zucchini with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and toppings of your choice.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.