This dip is definitely a winner and it will not be around for long, so get some while you can. The goat cheese makes the perfect base for the earth flavors of the mushrooms and the smokey chipotles. You can adjust the spice level to taste. I found that the two chipotles I included gave it just a subtle hint of spice. When making it for a crowd, you might want to keep the chipotles on the lighter side to keep everybody’s taste buds happy.
Chipotle Mushroom & Goat Cheese Queso (from Whole Foods)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 ounces (about 1 3/4 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sliced baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 chipotles in adobo (from a can), seeded and minced
- Heat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have released their liquid and are dry and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Spread mushrooms over the bottom of a small ovenproof casserole or gratin dish.
- In a large bowl, combine goat cheese, Jack cheese, spinach, onion and chipotles and toss until combined. Spread cheese mixture evenly over mushrooms and bake until bubbling, about 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.