I hate pesto (pine nuts and basil are just disgusting). I don’t really like salmon either (it’s way too fishy). But for some reason I love this dish. Go figure. Mama CC has been making this for years so I guess I just got used to it. Luckily it is super easy to make and always a crowd pleaser.
We served this for Easter dinner with several friends joining us, hence the size, but the recipe can be easily scaled down to individual filet portions. If you were to scale this recipe down for smaller cuts of salmon, just keep the 2:1:1 ratio of pesto:breadcrumbs:cheese and you should be fine.
Gluten Free Pesto Crusted Salmon (adapted from Mama CC)
- 1 large salmon fillet , or several smaller filets (we used a 3 pound fillet)
- 1 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, divided (I used Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Panko Style Crumbs)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- juice of 2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450F/230C. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and lightly oil/spray.
- Trim the salmon (if needed) and check for any stray bones.
- Place the salmon on the baking sheet. Squeeze one lemon over the fillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the pesto with half the breadcrumbs and spread over salmon. Take the remaining breadcrumbs and mix with half the cheese and sprinkle over the pesto. Then top the salmon with the remaining cheese.
- Cook on middle shelf for 30-40 minutes (probably 10-15 if using smaller filets). Remove from oven, squeeze with lemon and serve.