In my never-ending quest to use up six pounds of strawberries, I have been forced to make the berry an acceptable addition to every meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, nothing is off-limits when it comes to strawberries.
I made this delicious salad for lunch and I loved it. The strawberries and goat cheese were sweet and tangy and contrasted each other perfectly. I am kind of obsessed with the vinaigrette I made to go with the salad. I don’t give any exact measurements below for the dressing, mainly because I like mine to be really vinegar-y and that might not be everyone’s thing. Just use whatever ratio sounds best to you.
Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad with Crispy Shallots
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Roasted garlic vinaigrette (recipe below)
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the sliced shallots and toss to coat with oil. Allow shallots to cook on medium-high until they start to soften and get a bit of color. Turn heat to low and stir ever 5-8 minutes until they are golden and crispy. Remove pan from heat and allow shallots to cool and drain on paper towels.
- Divide spinach between two plates, top with strawberries, goat cheese, shallots and vinaigrette.
Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- 2 heads roasted garlic
- white wine or champagne vinegar
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into a food processor, add vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, along with the mustard. Blend until smooth.