Stuffed mushrooms are one of the easiest appetizers to make. Since white mushrooms have such a mellow flavor, you can fill them with just about anything and they are delicious. I decided to make stuffed mushrooms for a dinner not too long ago and for some reason the idea of blue cheese was stuck in my head. I searched high and low for a recipe I that sounded good, but alas, the internet failed me, so I decided to come up with my own. Success! You could put blue cheese, garlic or paprika on just about anything and I will probably love it, but when the three are combined, I will definitely love it. The flavors all went really well together and every bite was a bit tangy, a bit smokey and totally delicious.
Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 pound large mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and gills removed
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese or 1/3 fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C. Butter or spray a large baking dish.
- Mix together the shallot, garlic, Neufchâtel cheese, greek yogurt, blue cheese, paprika and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon cheese mixture into prepared mushrooms. Place mushrooms in baking dish.
- Bake mushrooms 15-18 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.