I really wanted to make 7 layer dip, but none of the recipes I found were really doing it for me. I decided to just throw what I was in the mood for all together and hope for the best. It worked out perfectly!
I had intended to include guacamole in this dip as well, but only one of my avocados was ripe. I mashed up the avocado with a little Kosher salt and some lime juice and spread it out as best I could. I also decided to dress up my diced tomatoes a bit by making pico de gallo. Simplest salsa ever. Tomatoes, diced white onion, cilantro, lime juice, kosher salt, done. I also like to include a bit of garlic (minced or powder) and freshly ground pepper to make it even tastier.
Cheesy Bean Dip
- 2 cans of refried beans
- 1-4 ounce can of diced chiles
- 1 cup of shredded cheese, divided (I would recommend sharp cheddar or a Mexican blend)
- sour cream
- 1-2 avocados, chopped, or guacamole
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped, or pico de gallo
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 3-4 green onions, sliced
- mix of green and black olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. In a small bowl, mix the beans, chiles and 1/2 cup of cheese together. Spread on the bottom of a large baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove dish from oven and spread remaining cheese over beans. Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese on top is melted.
- Remove dish from oven and top with remaining ingredients or anything else that makes you happy.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy.