What’s not to love about potato pancakes? Being the first day of Hanukkah, making latkes seemed appropriate. These aren’t your ordinary latkes though. When I saw cilantro, jalapeño, chipotle and potato all together, I knew I was on to a winner. The potato helps keep the spice factor down, but doesn’t hide any of the flavor. I actually added extra chipotle to the sour cream, since I found the sauce and latkes a little too mild for my taste.
Latkes are fairly labor intensive with a lot of grating and waiting involved, so be prepared to put in a little effort. These are definitely worth it. I think they would be a fun change from a plain latke for any Hanukkah dinner or pretty delicious any time you want to change up your potatoes.
Cilantro-Jalapeño Latkes with Chipotle Sour Cream (from Prudence Pennywise)
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 6 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup grated fresh onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Mix)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Combine potato and onion in a colander. Drain 30 minutes, pressing occasionally with the back of a spoon until barely moist. Combine potato mixture, flour, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; toss well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture loosely into a dry measuring cup. Pour mixture into pan; flatten slightly. Repeat the procedure 5 times to form 6 latkes. Sauté 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Remove latkes from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and potato mixture to yield 12 latkes total. Serve with sour cream mixture.