This broccoli is probably going to change your life. So be prepared.
The original recipe calls for pine nuts and basil, which are both completely and utterly vile in my book (don’t even get me started about pesto!), so they were omitted. If you’re into them, go for it. I think toasted slivered almonds might make a good substitute for the pine nuts. I would also recommend doubling the amount of garlic cloves. They crisp up into these amazing little garlic chips. If you’re crazy like me, you’ll want to munch on some. I also think next time (trust me there will be a next time with this broccoli), if I’m feeling a little feisty, I might even throw in a pinch of red pepper flakes. That would totally send this dish over the top.
Parmesan-Rosted Broccoli From Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, pg. 172 or here
- 4-5 pounds of broccoli
- 4-8 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets. Place the florets in a plastic bag, add olive oil, garlic, kosher salt and pepper. Seal bag and shake to coat broccoli.
- Place coated broccoli on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan and basil and pine nuts/almonds if using.
- Serve and enjoy.