This is a quick and easy vegan curry. It’s super tasty and you probably have the majority of the ingredients on hand already. It’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal and it will make your kitchen smell amazing.
After reading some of the comments on the original recipe, I used less than the original amount of liquid called for since most people seemed to find it too watery. I also substituted broth for the water just to create a bit more flavor. If you don’t have red chiles on hand or can’t find them you could easily substitute jalapeños, bell peppers or even canned chiles.
Chickpeas with Tomatoes & Spinach (from BBCGoodFood.com)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ finger length piece fresh root ginger, shredded
- 2 mild red chillies , thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoon tomato purée
- 3/4 cup/200 ml low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce/400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound/200g baby spinach leaves
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion over a medium-low heat until softened. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for a further 5 mins until the onions are golden and the garlic slightly toasted.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala, coriander and cumin, stirring over a low heat for a few secs. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and add the tomato purée, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan and add in broth one 1/4 cup/100ml at a time. Simmer for 10 mins before stirring in the spinach to wilt.
- Serve and enjoy!