Lauren, this one’s for you. My dear friend Lauren is my chief consultant on all things related to both hummus and pumpkin. Due to the fact that this recipe combines the two, she was obviously the first person I consulted. I ran this recipe by her a couple weeks ago and I’m finally getting around to sharing it.
I loooooooove hummus. I really don’t make it enough. I actually don’t buy it that much either, because the ready made stuff is just so disappointing when compared to homemade (unless it’s the caramelized onion or jalapeno hummus from Tesco, that stuff is totally amazing). I tend to like roasted garlic or caramelized onion hummus, both of which require roasting or caramelizing and can kinda put a damper on wanting to make them. This recipe remedies all of that. It’s one of the simplest hummuses I’ve ever made and one of the tastiest too.
This hummus would be great as a sandwich spread (keep it in mind for any leftover turkey you might stumble upon in the next couple months) and it would be the perfect less-indulgent-yet-oh-so-tasty option to accompany any football watching you might be doing over the next few weeks. Serve it up with some baked pita chips or tortilla chips and some veggies and you are set.
Smoky Pumpkin Hummus (from GoodHealthGourmet on Chowhound)
- 1-15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (I used a whole 15 ounce can of puree)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon low-sodium wheat-free tamari (or soy sauce if gluten isn’t an issue)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Place all the ingredients except for the pepitas in a food processor. Secure lid and blend until smooth. Add in tahini by the teaspoon if mixture is too thick. Taste for seasoning, and add additional spices and/or an extra dash of tamari or cayenne if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!