Yesterday I shared my obsession with Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution cookbook. Everything I have made from it has been amazing. I highly recommend it. This chicken was no exception. It is a fast, easy and really tasty recipe. It’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal, but tasty enough to serve for a proper, sit-down dinner as well. I could also see serving this chicken over a salad or even as chicken ‘strips’ for kids.
I served up the chicken with the best ever green beans and cauliflower ‘mashed potatoes’ topped with caramelized onions. It was delicious. Crunchy Garlic Chicken (from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, p. 241) – Serves 2
- 1 clove garlic (I used 3 because I have a problem)
- 1 lemon
- 6 cream or plain crackers (I used Glutino GF Vegetable Crackers)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 heaped tablespoons of all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill GF Mix)
- 1 large egg
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
- olive oil
- Peel the garlic and zest the lemon. Put the crackers into a food processor with butter, garlic, parsley, lemon zest and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is very fine, then pour the crumbs on to a plate. Sprinkle flour on to a second plate. Crack the egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork.
- Lightly score the underside of the chicken breasts. Put a square of plastic wrap over each one and hit a few times with the bottome of a pan or meat tenderizer until the breasts flatten out a bit.
- Dip the chicken into the flour until both sides are coated, then dip into the egg and finally into the flavored crumbs. Push the crumbs on to the chicken so they stick.