My wonderful friend Amanda moved to Texas not so long ago and being the wonderful friend that she is, she sent me the perfect postcard!
Seriously, more places should sell postcards with recipes on them. Such a cute way to share regional recipes. I love it.
You can totally tell that I live no where near the south. It was so hard to find black eyed peas. Well the canned kind, not the boom boom pow kind. I definitely removed a couple ingredients from this that I am not particularly a fan of, like bell peppers and celery, aka the 2nd most disgusting food on the planet (bananas would be number 1 obvs.). It’s not too late to whip this up as a Labor Day side dish, or keep it in mind for you next barbecue. I highly recommend you do!
Texas Caviar (adapted from Amanda’s postcard)
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 fresh medium jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 small red onion, cut into small dice
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin