I’m on a bit of a blue cheese kick at the moment, let’s just accept that and move right along to talking about how amazingly delicious this salad is. Every single thing about this salad is a good thing. When you combine so many good things together, you end up with a very great thing. This salad is awesome. I was a bit skeptical about these flavors working together. Even though I love peaches and blue cheese, I wasn’t sure how well they would actually complement each other. It turned out to be a delicious combination. I think the key is to make sure your peaches are super ripe. The sweetness really counterbalances the tangy blue cheese and the vinaigrette.
I originally saw the recipe in my current favorite cookbook Real Simple: Meals Made Easy, but luckily it’s also on Real Simple’s website. I am definitely planning on making this a couple more times while there are still ripe peaches around. I also think that this salad would be really scalable for smaller or larger serving sizes. I actually scaled it down for 2 and we had leftovers the next day. It would also make a tasty work lunch, if you kept the peaches and dressing separate until serving.
Chicken Salad with Peaches & Blue Cheese (adapted from this recipe.) Makes 6 servings.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch strips (about 12 cups)
- 1 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken, meat thickly sliced 0r 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 peaches, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ounces blue cheese, sliced into pieces
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- If using rotisserie chicken, skip to step 2. If using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, wash and prepare chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. Season with kosher salt, pepper and a light sprinkling of garlic powder and paprika. Depending on time and preference, the chicken can either be baked in the oven or cooked stove top on a grill pan. I basically followed this recipe for the chicken. Easy, peasy.
- Arrange the lettuce, chicken, peaches, cheese, and almonds on a platter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Drizzle over the salad.
- Serve and enjoy!