So, I have a billion bags of frozen peas in my freezer and by a billion, I mean 3, but they were taking up a lot of space and were starting to bug me. This is the perfect summertime recipe. There is no cooking or heat involved, which is definitely a plus on a super hot day. The ingredients might sound a little odd at first, but trust me, they work together perfectly. The sweetness of the peas definitely bring out the flavor of the feta and onions. It’s not too creamy either, which is usually a problem with a lot of summer salads. I used a scant 1/3 cup of greek yogurt and a tablespoon of mayonnaise and 5 Tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar. I really like vinegar, so I thought it was just the perfect amount.
Balsamic Pea Salad
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt/mayonnaise/sour cream
- 3-5 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I would recommend white balsamic vinegar if you can, regular is fine, it will make the color a little off looking)
- black pepper to taste
- Place peas in a colander, and run warm water over them until they are thawed. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Toast almonds in a skillet over medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of peas, stir in onions, feta cheese, and greek yogurt/mayonnaise/sour cream. Mix in balsamic vinegar, and season with pepper. Cover, and refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir in almonds and serve.